2019 - A Year in review
Tech-Girls offers programming across the K-12 spectrum. The focus through all of the opportunities we offer girls in the community is to spark their interest in technology and computer science, build their confidence, nurture an inclusive community and help girls develop their own tech identity. Here are some highlights from 2019:
- 7 Girls’ Geek Day sessions were hosted at elementary schools around the community, including Broadus Wood, Cale, Crozet, Greer, St. Anne's-Belfield, and Stone Robinson with an average of 55 K-5 girls in attendance.
- Launched Yes We Tech monthly meetups for middle school-aged girls hosted at local tech companies and organizations including WillowTree, S&P Global, Linden Lab and UVA's Cardiac Systems Biology Lab.
- Hosted 14 young women from eleven high schools for the 6th annual Bio-Med Tech-Girls program, a collaboration between Tech-Girls, UVA Biomedical Engineering, St. Anne's-Belfield School and the i.Lab at UVA.
- Continued to hold monthly Tech-Girls events at Computers4Kids.
- Collaborated with AWS on their Girls' Tech Day.
- Provided hands-on tech and computer science activities at Kid*Vention Family Science Festival, UVA Ladies in the Lab and WHTJ Family Day.
- Launched the #TechGirlsChallenge at MozFest in London.